Event Volunteers are people who assist in event planning and/or participate at our events, but are not necessarily in contact with the athletes on a regular basis.
- Day of Event Volunteers: Day-of event assistance includes a wide array of involvement, such as registration, scorekeeping, timing, staging of the athletes and awards. Shift times are approximately 4 hours in length for events that run 1-3 days.
- Fundraising Events Volunteers: Assist with planning and conducting an area or state level fundraising activity. Time commitments will vary.
- Administrative Support: Data entry or short term assignments at the State support office in Phoenix, or one of the satellite offices around the state.. Time commitment is flexible.
- Certified Official: Work as an Official or Judge at area or state competitions. Official certification within a specific sport is required. To learn more about becoming a Special Olympics certified Official, visit the Special Olympics International website.
- Medical Volunteer: Assist on day of event with first aid. EMT certification, RN, PA or MD required.
- Corporate Volunteer Groups (Teambuilding): Consider having your company get involved! Volunteer as a corporate group and Special Olympics Arizona will create a team-building volunteer opportunity that's right for you.
Day of Event volunteers must be 14 years or older to volunteer as an individual. Anyone 13 years and younger must be accompanied by an adult who is at least 21 years old (4 to 1 ratio for groups; 1 adult per every 4 youth). Anyone 7 years and younger will not be assigned any duties but are welcome to come and spectate.
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
See the events listed below for the most up-to-date Special Olympics Arizona State Competition Volunteer needs. This page is updated regularly; to see upcoming volunteer opportunities at events in your area, please use the SOAZ Calendar and contact the person listed for the specific event you would like to volunteer at!
General Volunteer needs at most competitions consist of: scorekeeping, timing, staging, escorting, serving lunches, volunteer check-in, merchandise, Olympic Village, etc.
SUMMER GAMES - 5/4 - 5/6/2017 - Online registration is now closed. If you would like to volunteer, please go to Kellis High School and check in with Volunteers.
Our 2017-2018 Calendar of Events will be shared shortly. Events will begin in September!