College Merchandise and Design Intern
Support Service Office, Phoenix
Development Coordinator – Krista Sanchez
This is a part-time or full-time position which provides merchandise and design support to the Development Department. This position will assist with, coordinate, provide outreach, organization, and implementation of design skills for merchandise and other marketing materials for Special Olympics Arizona. Additionally, this position will become knowledgeable of the inclusive movement promoted by Special Olympics Arizona through the Unified Program.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended only as illustrations of the duties of the Merchandise & Design Intern. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude these tasks from the position if the work is similar, related to or logical assignments of the position.
- Support Development Coordinator with administrative and design duties.
- Prepare all necessary design and research work in a timely and legible fashion, to include analysis of latest trends
- Assist with designing, purchasing, and inventorying of SOAZ merchandise
- Accurately update any spreadsheets to track merchandise and other marketing products, with detailed analysis of expense and revenue generation
- Work with LETR and event departments, if needed, to create marketing materials for them
- Report weekly to Development Coordinator on latest trends in fashion, design, and sport-related markets
- Assist in preparation of marketing and merchandise materials at events, consistent with established standards
- Successfully create and implement a youth-focused line of apparel that will assist in strengthening SOAZ’s presence in the state and build awareness of programs offered
- Seek partnerships to enhance Merchandise and Design within the Development Department with resources and funding or in-kind donations
- Implement proper follow-up and thank you responses for all donors and potential partners within the merchandise and design scope of focus
- Provide administrative support for Support Service office as determined by Supervisor
- Filing/copying/mailing as required
- Adheres to SOI/SONA Risk Management polices/practices at all levels to protect SOAZ and prevent loss
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- May be asked participate in at least 3 Project Unify events during the course of the internship and/or gain a working knowledge of the Unified Program
- Ability to work and identify with target group involved with Project Unify and the Unified Program as a whole (K-12 and SO College)
- If under the age of 18, must have consent for internship signed by a parent or guardian
Passion for Special Olympics Arizona
Must pass Criminal and National Sex Offender Registry background screening. (Required for all staff)
Must be a current college level student in good academic standing in an Arizona accredited college or university. Must be taking courses relevant to the internship job description and responsibilities.
Experience in working or volunteering with non-profits or a related field and/or working with individuals with intellectual disabilities required
Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign skills required. Knowledge of current fashion trends and a desire to learn about marketing and merchandise design and production preferred
Strong organizational ability to manage multiple projects and efficient time management skills. Must be proficient in the English language and have effective verbal and written communication skills as well as customer service skills.
Part-time or Full-time positions located in Phoenix, Arizona available, with the intern having access to design programs listed above either personally or through their educational institution. This position’s work schedule will be determined by the demands of the position and can include 40+ hour work weeks, evenings and weekends, as well as extensive in-state travel. Flexible and long hours sometimes required however prior approval on overtime hours is necessary.
Physical Demands Include:
Standing, walking, climbing ladders, squatting, lifting through full range (must be able to lift a min of 25 lbs), working in confined spaces, working in extremes of heat, cold and inclement weather as well as working at heights above 6'. Moderate to heavy physical demands, will be required to load and unload trucks, and to lift equipment and other merchandise.
Must have own reliable transportation and fulfill assignments with reliability and punctuality, have a good driving history and must have valid AZ driver's license.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
**Please note that a 30-day review will be conducted to evaluate progress and quality of work to determine if the internship will continue.
All interested applicants, please submit your resumes and direct any questions you may have regarding this internship to: