Special Events Intern
Support Services Office, Phoenix
Special Event Coordinator, Cortney Vandenburg
Part-time or Full-time
This is a part-time or full-time unpaid position which provides special events support to the Development Department. This position will assist with, coordinate, provide outreach, organization, and implementation of special events for Special Olympics Arizona. Additionally, this position will become knowledgeable of the inclusive movement promoted by Special Olympics Arizona through the Unified Program.
The following examples are intended only as illustrations of the duties of the Special Events Intern. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude these tasks from the position if the work is similar, related to or logical assignments of the position.
- Support Special Events Coordinator with administrative and event duties.
- Prepare all necessary research work in a timely and legible fashion, to include analysis potential key vendors, sponsors, donors
- Assist with event preparation including brainstorming, community outreach, timelines, budgets etc.
- Assist Development Department with day of event duties including event set-up and tear down
- Available to work major key events
- Seek partnerships to enhance Special Events within the Development Department with resources and funding or in-kind donations
- Assist in New Media outreach including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Implement proper follow-up and thank you responses for all donors and potential partners within the special events scope of focus
- Provide administrative support for Support Service office as determined by Supervisor
- Filing/copying/mailing as required
- Adheres to SOI/SONA Risk Management polices/practices at all levels to protect SOAZ and prevent loss
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- If under the age of 18, must have consent for internship signed by a parent or guardian
Passion for Special Olympics Arizona
Must pass Criminal and National Sex Offender Registry background screening. (Required for all staff)
Current college level student in good academic standing in an Arizona accredited college or university is preferred.
Experience in working or volunteering with non-profits or a related field and/or working with individuals with intellectual disabilities a plus. Experience with Special Events Coordinating is highly preferred.
Word, Excel, Outlook, and Publisher skills highly recommended
Strong organizational ability to manage multiple projects and efficient time management skills. Must be proficient in the English language and have effective verbal and written communication skills as well as customer service skills.
Part-time or Full-time positions located in Phoenix, Arizona available. This position’s work schedule will be determined by the demands of the position and can include 40+ hour work weeks, evenings and weekends, as well as some in-state travel. Flexible and long hours sometimes required however prior approval on overtime hours is necessary.
Physical Demands Include:
Standing, walking, climbing ladders, squatting, lifting through full range (must be able to lift a min of 25 lbs), working in confined spaces, working in extremes of heat, cold and inclement weather as well as working at heights above 6'. Moderate to heavy physical demands, will be required to load and unload trucks, and to lift equipment and other merchandise.
Must have own reliable transportation and fulfill assignments with reliability and punctuality, have a good driving history and must have valid AZ driver's license.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
**Please note that a 30-day review will be conducted to evaluate progress and quality of work to determine if the internship will continue
All interested applicants, please submit your resumes and direct any questions you may have regarding this internship to: