Welcome to Special Olympics Arizona's Unified Hiking!
When you think of Arizona, I bet most of you picture cacti, tumbleweeds, and 100+ degree weather. What you should picture is a multitude of wide open spaces, dramatic landscapes, and hiking trails suitable for all skill levels! What's great about hiking is that you can do it practically anywhere, with minimal gear and no cost! Every couple of months, Special Olympics Arizona will be releasing a new trail to get you outdoors and moving-all over the state! We will be hosting various hiking events throughout the state. Check back to see new trails!
Are you an avid hiker in Arizona? Tag us in your hiking photos @specialolympicsarizona #unifiedhiking
Join us for our FREE kick-off event June 8th at Buffalo Park in Flagstaff!
Click here to register!
Coming Soon: Papago Park 5k Fitness Trail Hike - December 7th, 2019
Coming Soon: Tuscon Unified Hike - February 2020
Interested in becoming more involved with Unified Hiking? Check out our Unified Hiking Advisory Committee!
The goal of the Unified Hiking Advisory Committee (UHAC) is to assure that Special Olympics Arizona utilizes Arizona's natural beauty and resources to provide opportunities for SOAZ athletes and supporters to continue living healthy, active lifestyles. The Unified Hiking Advisory Committee oversees Special Olympics Unified Hiking program and initiatives. Made up of parks and recreation staff, rangers, educators, overall outdoor enthusiasts, and volunteers, the UHAC helps to create and promote overall outdoor health and wellness activities, programs, and outdoor resources including safety and health information.
The UHAC is made of three focuses that collaborate to fulfill the goals of the SOAZ Unified Hiking Program. The focuses include:
PARKS AND RECREATION
- Aids the Unified Hiking Advisory Committee in Determining SOAZ trail difficulty ratings
- Connects with various Parks and Recreation resources throughout the state to increase awareness of the Unified Hiking Program
- Advises UHAC members on outdoor education including nature, "Leave No Trace," accident prevention, sun safety, etc.
- Assists in creating materials to be distributed to athletes regarding outdoor education
- Acts as hiking leaders by organizing community hikes for SOAZ athletes
OUTDOOR GEAR AND EQUIPMENT
- Collaborates with SOAZ during hiking kick-off events to provide an exciting presence on scene by tabling with giveaways, outdoor gear and apparel, and information about nearby outdoor sports stores
- Acts as community partners to house incentives for SOAZ athletes in store
- Collaborates with SOAZ staff to plan kick-off hiking events
- Provides demonstration hiking and outdoor equipment for day of events when available
- Acts as hiking leaders by going on trails with SOAZ athletes
UNIFIED HIKING ATHLETE LEADERS (UHAL)
- Advises the UHAC on personal experiences with hiking and SOAZ health programs
- Assists in determining accessibility of various trails throughout the state before officially establishing trails as UHAC approved
- Promotes outdoor safety and educates peers on the importance and benefits of staying active
*Please note the Athlete Leaders in Health Committee is for SOAZ Athletes only
Email email@example.com for more information and ways to get involved.